Monday, December 18, 2006

Zanzibar

So much for posting every day. The computers here are so infested with spyware that just about the only thing you can use them for is to type text. Over the past few days I've tried to post but when it takes you half an hour to get to the blog page, you begin to wonder if it's worth the bother.

So, since my last post I've been to the Ngorongoro crater - just incredible; got up close and rather personal with some elephants, seen lions mating including a lion orgasm, zebra, rhino, jackals, foxes... Incredible rain on the way out of the crater, reminiscent of the scenes in Jurassic Park where the fat computer technician crashes his jeep in the rain. We were driving through flooded mud tracks. Really cool. All the rain so far has been something to be enjoyed rather than endured.

Slept out on the endless plain of the Serengeti that night. I heard a lion roaring during the night and we found tracks through our camp in the morning...

The Serengeti was a little disappointing as we saw very little wildlife, which I guess is the luck of the draw, but we did get really close to some giraffes who were content to ignore us completely.

So we are now on Zanzibar for a few days. We're at a place on the northern tip of the island with white beaches, cobalt blue sea and clear skies. It's a bit rubbish, but I'm struggling through. It does say something that I appreciate the proper beds and not constantly moving more than the scenery!

One of the girls (Jacqui) has a birthday today, so doubtless there will be a few beers and cocktails sunk in her honour this evening. I took some laundry in to reception at the hotel today so I might even be able to wear clean clothes, hurrah!

As I write this it's 1.41 pm so the worst of the midday heat is over, so it's time to go back and top up my sunburn. Not that I'm actually burnt, just a nice brown, courtesy of my factor 40 sunscreen. Ciao.

1 comment:

Nelviticus said...

Groovy bro. Makes me want to be on holiday. Mind you, so does everything.