Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Futbol. We speekee.

Last night was an early one; I think most others went early too, so I didn't miss any action. Woke this morning to another hot day, but we had arranged to play football against the local woodcarving lads who have their stalls just outside the campsite. Well we met them at the gate and wandered down to their pitch, which was a fair size, and also had goalposts. Obviously no white lines (white paint doesn't stick to dust), but otherwise good. They were all quite skillful as we had seen them juggling balls and kicking about, but although we weren't necessarily talented, we had the aggression of the English game on our side.

I was playing right wing, but straight away I realised I was dehydrated before we'd even kicked off; I guess 2 days of booze does that to you. My legs felt so heavy but it was good to play a proper game; the last one I played was in Cape Town in 1989. To cut a long story short, I didn't get to see too much of the ball, but we were soon 2 nil up, but they got 2 quick goals before half time.

I was completely shattered and needed water badly. For the locals' half time refreshment a really big spliff seemed to work for them, until they got back on the pitch, when we knocked in another 3. So a 5-2 final score with our organisation beating their individual skill.

Obviously there were a few scrapes, so my wound care bag came out at the end.

I've spent the rest of the day negotiating for them to carve me a few bits 'n bobs so I will soon be the proud owner of a framed painting and a game box.

Got a bit sunburnt on my neck, but it was worth it. Tonight we're going for a meal in some village somewhere, then tomorrow we're off to Blantyre to get our Mozambique visas. I have to do shopping for food as it's my team's turn to cook and I have to go to the police to get a report about the theft of my camera. Everyone on the truck is uploading their pics to a common website, so I'll be able to get their shots instead of mine which is better than nothing.

Not sure when the next interweb portal thingy will be...

No comments: