Monday, January 08, 2007

Gastro pubs and Gastroenteritis

Well I was feeling a little queasy when I was writing my last post, but everyone feels queasy from time to time so I didn't worry too much about it. Went to the Afro cafe to meet Marlon (for t'was his name), but still feeling queasy told him that I'd probably be going straight home after supper, which I did. No sooner was I back at my room than the gates of hell opened and stayed open all night. (D&V for those in the know). By mid morning on Saturday I was dehydrated and in agony. I eventually managed to find my phone and the number for reception - they came over and called a doctor and ambulance for me.

The doc eventually arrived and gave me two injections, one in each buttock; the first one hurt, but the second one had me screaming for about a minute, right up to the point where I threw up on the bed all over my arm. Kind of annoying as I'd managed to keep everything in the loo all night, even when - you get the idea. I was severely dehydrated so they put me on a drip and carted me back off to the Christiaan Barnard Memorial hospital, where I stayed over night. Lovely view of Lion's Head, but to be honest I couldn't really have cared less. It was quite entertaining actually getting me IN to the ambulance as my place is on about a forty degree slope and I couldn't walk, even if I wasn't completely dehydrated. The injections worked though - no more pain and no more sickness.

So, I spent Friday night in agony, Saturday night in hospital and Sunday night in an exhausted heap on my bed - which had been cleaned, but not made. I found out this morning that they were going to move me to a nicer room, hence the lack of bed making, but that can wait until tonight. The doc came by this morning again and gave me some painkillers for my foot and a nice bill for the insurance company. I'm sure I'm going to get a black mark after this - a stolen camera, missing airline tickets, a nearly broken foot and an admission for gastroenteritis.

Well, I'm up and about again, the foot is getting better and I should be back on solids sometime before Easter. Oh yeah, and if you read this, please do leave a comment as I can't tell if I'm talking to just to myself, or to others as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I refuse to leave a comment. You can't make me.

You'd better get a move on if you want to get a 'full house' of disasters before you fly back - I suggest nobbing a few of the dirtiest ho's you can find so that you can pick up a monstrous STD. That should do it.

P.S. - this site is a pile of cack. Every time I try to post under my ID - 'Nelviticus' - it fails to recognise my ID or password and I have to re-register. W@nkers.

Anonymous said...

Well, Antti, fear not, your gastroenterological (is that a word?) woes are being heard round the world! I hope you're feeling better and getting a proper amount of fluids--D and V at the same time, that's brutal!
-Kt

Anonymous said...

Oh Ant... Im so sorry all of this is happening to you! Good job none of this occurred during your fabulous visit to NYC (wink wink)
Keep up these incredibly hysterical posts. Its so good to hear about your escapades.
Talk to you soon.