Thursday, August 16, 2007

Courage, Merry

I think that's what's failing me. No courage, or the tiny amount of courage I have feels so brittle that I daren't test it or use it. Every task fills me with fear and anxiety. There are calls I have to make, letters I have to post and bills I have to pay. I have a working phone, envelopes and stamps and the funds to pay the bills, but... I... just... can't. I don't want to. So angry. Why am I still on my own after all this time?

Something from Lawrence Durrell's Justine, about a man who has lost his love:

"As soon as my work was finished I locked myself in my own room and crawled into bed... ...I was afflicted by a gradually increasing numbness, a mental apathy which made me shrink from contact. Once or twice I accompanied him for a walk along the river (he was a botanist) and heard him talk lightly and brilliantly on his own subject. But for my taste the landscape, its flatness, its unresponsiveness to the seasons had gone stale. The sun seemed to have scorched up my appetite for everything - food, company and even speech. I preferred to lie in bed staring at the ceiling and listening to the noises around me."

For me it's not a lost love, but the endless, thankless, soul crushing search that is withering me.

No comments: