Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tears

Not the kind of tears that the desperate put in their jeans to look 'fashionable', rather the kind that fall out of our eyes when we're really sad, or really happy for that matter. Or when we're looking for sympathy and chocolate. The kind that Emperor Ming's daughter thought were a sign of humanity's 'weakness'. Well, tears are a sign of our humanity certainly, in that they are a symptom of our emotions, unless you are eating a really hot curry or you're caught in a sandstorm, in which case they're a symptom of your body trying to get crap out of your eyes.

Over the past couple of days I've been finding myself rather teary. I don't feel particularly sad or particularly happy; I think the best word to describe my emotions at the moment would be 'intense'. It seems that however I feel at the moment, I'm living the emotion viscerally and physically, so my body decides to get the tears out to help it cope; watching a footballer score a goal, listening to Bach, seeing a man in tears in a film because he misses his family. All these are giving me surges of emotion which I'm frankly not used to. It's a bit odd, so I'll try not to do it in public.

No comments: